The Tokina atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF is designed as an ultra wide angle zoom lens for APS-C sensor DLSR cameras. It is the only f/2.8 fast ultra wide angle zoom lens for APS-C sized DSLR cameras in the current market (according to internal survey September, 2019).
The useful 11-16mm focal length is chosen in order to position this lens as an easy demanded gear after standard zoom lenses or initial wide angle zoom lens to start with.
A constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range is realized to achieve great results in low light environments, for depth of field control and easy manual shooting, while maintaining a reasonable size and weight of the lens.
To achieve an exceptional optical performance demanded for ultra wide angle zoom lens in still and video shooting purposes, two aspherical glass elements and two Super-Low Dispersion glass elements were used in order to minimize distortion, manage spherical aberration and astigmatism while achieving excellent edge-to edge resolution and contrast of the entire image. Great efforts were done to control light fall-off at all focal lengths.
Anti-reflective multi-layer coating improves light transmission and minimizes reflections while water-repellent coating makes wiping and cleaning the surface of the front glass element easier.
Built Quality & Exterior Design
True to traditions, Tokina incorporated a lot of metal parts inside the lens for a reassuring built quality and long time utilization in different shooting conditions.
The sophisticated exterior design is specifically developed to match the design of contemporary DSLR cameras.
Mechanics & Electronics
Precise attention was also payed to zoom and focus ring rotation which has convenient amount with no play and made just enough tightly damped.
The Tokina atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF for Nikon F mount incorporates internal silent focusing motor in combination with precise GMR sensor to allow the lens to AF on Nikon bodies that do not have an AF drive gear and motor.
Highly valued One-touch focus Clutch mechanism allows to switch between autofocus and manual focus easy.
The overall length of the Tokina atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF does not change when focusing and zooming thanks to internal type of the focus construction.
- Ultra-wide 11-16mm focal length
- Ideal for shooting landscapes, interiors, nightscapes, and group shots.
- Constant maximum aperture of f/2.8
- Great performance in low light shooting, exceptional depth of field control and easy manual management.
- Excellent optical performance
- Edge-to-edge sharpness, reduced flares and ghosting, excellent contrast.
- Internal Focus
- No problems with lens balancing and using graduated or polarizing filters.
- Water-repellent coating
- Easy to wipe and maintain the front element clean.
- One-touch Focus Clutch mechanism
- Easy AF/MF switching without interruption of the shooting process.
- Greatly balanced cost performance
- Reasonable pricing compared to high level of performance.
For Still Photography
Ultra-wide 11-16mm focal length, constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 makes this lens an essential tool for the following genres of photography: landscape, group photos and environmental portraits, architecture (especially interiors) automobile photography, street photography and night sky photography.
The Tokina atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF is designed with videographers and film makers in mind who shoot both stills and video professionally, featuring the following advantages for such a kind of users:
- Wide cinematic angle enough to feel confident in small places.
- Minimized focus breathing – the subject framing does not show any change with focus adjustment.
- Natural footage – the image is not distorted while panning due to almost zero distortion performance.
- Constant aperture to use zoom while you are filming.
- The Tokina atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF is a perfect match to use with gimbal.
Ideal wide angle fitting cinematic standards
- Light weight.
- Zooming abilities that allow user to shoot in different angles using the same lens.
- Since the overall length does not change thanks to internal type of focusing, there is no need to do gimbal calibration every time the angle of view was changed.
- Great color rendering and resolution abilities.
- Affordable price and high quality compared to really expensive cinema lenses.